« Back to RenewAmerica

HOW MANY CATHOLICS SAINTS ARE THERE.

Religious freedom updates and discussion

HOW MANY CATHOLICS SAINTS ARE THERE.

Postby halley » February 22nd, 2011, 12:45 pm

HOW MANY CATHOLIC SAINTS ARE THERE
and who is authorized to elevate them to sainthood and by whose authority since I can find absolutely nothing in the bible on the subject. Who authorize the pope to be the head of the catholic church?
How did the use of relics and images get in the the worship of GOD?
GOD say the only mediator between him and and man is Christ and why are saints ask to intervene for members of the church and relics of them worn?
Why is Mary worshiped when Jesus did not even worship her?
Are saint above angels?
How did the rosary get into the worship of GOD?
Do the catholic church worship Jesus?

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/augustine/a/faq-cc.html#q15
"We have met the enemy and the enemy is us."
"Do not speak evil about the ruler of your people"
halley

Re: HOW MANY CATHOLICS SAINTS ARE THERE.

Postby philosophicallyfrank » April 13th, 2013, 1:14 pm

Everyone that reaches Heaven is a Saint whether officially declared or not.

Frank
The more you learn; the more you learn that there is to learn!
philosophicallyfrank

Postby philosophicallyfrank » October 3rd, 2013, 2:37 pm

halley wrote:HOW MANY CATHOLIC SAINTS ARE THERE
and who is authorized to elevate them to sainthood and by whose authority since I can find absolutely nothing in the bible on the subject. Who authorize the pope to be the head of the catholic church?
How did the use of relics and images get in the the worship of GOD?
GOD say the only mediator between him and and man is Christ and why are saints ask to intervene for members of the church and relics of them worn?
Why is Mary worshiped when Jesus did not even worship her?
Are saint above angels?
How did the rosary get into the worship of GOD?
Do the catholic church worship Jesus?

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/augustine/a/faq-cc.html#q15

I will take these issues one by one to keep things simple.

What is your source for the idea that Catholics "worship" Mary?

Frank
philosophicallyfrank

Postby Intelligent Design » October 3rd, 2013, 6:05 pm

"What is your source for the idea that Catholics "worship" Mary?"

Larry Tarded/aka David Hines, the only Catholic hater left at this site......
The Constitution is controled anarchy, just barely, as was the intent of our Founders.

You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body.C.S. Lewis

Statutum tempus Lex of Deus est a Donum. Donum attero nisi a speculum of lex of Deus, in terra
Intelligent Design

Postby philosophicallyfrank » October 4th, 2013, 12:35 am

Intelligent Design wrote:"What is your source for the idea that Catholics "worship" Mary?"

Well, David Hines is welcome to add his two cents; if he chooses to do so; but, it was Halley who made the claims. Now let's see if he can back-up his claims.
Frank
philosophicallyfrank

Postby Intelligent Design » October 4th, 2013, 7:01 pm

philosophicallyfrank wrote:
Intelligent Design wrote:"What is your source for the idea that Catholics "worship" Mary?"

Well, David Hines is welcome to add his two cents; if he chooses to do so; but, it was Halley who made the claims. Now let's see if he can back-up his claims.
Frank

Fair point. Halley isn't smart enough for that, but I could be wrong and the attempt might be made. I'll shut up.
The Constitution is controled anarchy, just barely, as was the intent of our Founders.

You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body.C.S. Lewis

Statutum tempus Lex of Deus est a Donum. Donum attero nisi a speculum of lex of Deus, in terra
Intelligent Design

Postby Sgt. Stryker » October 4th, 2013, 8:21 pm

I don't believe in saints or sainthood. If I did "Saint" Anthony would be my favorite, followed by "Saint" Patrick. I don't dare disagree with my Aunt Kay on Catholicism, though, because she's like you guys. I may be posting in the lion's den here but if you were what you say you are (Catholics) then I shouldn't have anything to fear but "enlightenment". :roll:

Old NAG has called it quits as far as I know. So your disagreements on religion with an absent Old NAG are pointless. But it's funny to see you post things and expect a response from her. :lol:
Sgt. Stryker: You gotta learn right and you gotta learn fast. And any man that doesn't want to cooperate, I'll make him wish he had never been born.
Sgt. Stryker

Postby bossfan » October 4th, 2013, 8:34 pm

Aaron:
I don't believe in saints or sainthood.

A saint is a Christian, God's child. All who belong to Him are saints. :wink:
“Would you rather be the behavioral monitor of the world (regularly disappointed) or the purveyor of revival (frequently in awe of God and His children)?”
~ Ralph Harris
bossfan

Postby Sgt. Stryker » October 4th, 2013, 8:43 pm

I don't have Aunt Kay on speed dial, but I could call her to ask her if she worships Mary. All I know is she holds her rosary in meditation and probably prays to Mary, mother of God. Our differences, Aunt Kay's and mine, is in the type of meditation we do. I don't have to be told by anyone how to meditate, who to think of or pray to when I meditate, or even when to meditate. I was told that meditation always seems to help, though. So I'll try it on a day that I choose not to participate on this forum. And, I'll let you know how it goes.

As far as I know, a Catholic church chose not to baptize me for reasons of their own. The only time I stepped foot in a Catholic church was when I went to a Catholic pre-school. Didn't impress me much even though I wasn't at mass.
Sgt. Stryker: You gotta learn right and you gotta learn fast. And any man that doesn't want to cooperate, I'll make him wish he had never been born.
Sgt. Stryker

Postby philosophicallyfrank » October 5th, 2013, 5:22 pm

Intelligent Design wrote:
philosophicallyfrank wrote:

Frank

Fair point. Halley isn't smart enough for that, but I could be wrong and the attempt might be made. I'll shut up.

No, no, don't mis-understand me; if you've got something to say; feel free and if it is appropriate for me to respond i'll give it my best shot. I'm no theologian; but, my researching various answers helps me as well. Also, I don't express "my opinions" because what I "think" does not matter when religion is involved. I will provide references for my replies.
Plus, I come and go from these forums; so, I'm not always up-to-date especially with long threads.
Frank
philosophicallyfrank

Postby philosophicallyfrank » October 5th, 2013, 5:31 pm

Sgt. Stryker wrote:I don't believe in saints or sainthood. If I did "Saint" Anthony would be my favorite, followed by "Saint" Patrick. I don't dare disagree with my Aunt Kay on Catholicism, though, because she's like you guys. I may be posting in the lion's den here but if you were what you say you are (Catholics) then I shouldn't have anything to fear but "enlightenment". :roll:

Old NAG has called it quits as far as I know. So your disagreements on religion with an absent Old NAG are pointless. But it's funny to see you post things and expect a response from her. :lol:

You're right Sgt. Those of us who "claim" to believe in a faith; should do our best to practice it and that includes trying to both understand and respond to the "other" believer "AND" everybody is a believer. Those last four words should be "red meat" for someone or ones and I doubt that you've ever heard anyone make that claim.
And yes there is at least one known St. Anthony. The reason why the Catholic Church "proclaims" saints is to hold them up as role models who have led exemplary lives even though some were the worst of sinners in their early lives.
Frank
philosophicallyfrank

Postby philosophicallyfrank » October 5th, 2013, 5:35 pm

bossfan wrote:Aaron:
I don't believe in saints or sainthood.

A saint is a Christian, God's child. All who belong to Him are saints. :wink:

Sadly, that is not true. There are too many Christians in-name-only. They go to Sunday service to "show" their faith and then act otherwise the rest of the time. There are many hypocrits.

Frank
philosophicallyfrank

Postby philosophicallyfrank » October 5th, 2013, 5:46 pm

Sgt. Stryker wrote:I don't have Aunt Kay on speed dial, but I could call her to ask her if she worships Mary. All I know is she holds her rosary in meditation and probably prays to Mary, mother of God. Our differences, Aunt Kay's and mine, is in the type of meditation we do. I don't have to be told by anyone how to meditate, who to think of or pray to when I meditate, or even when to meditate. I was told that meditation always seems to help, though. So I'll try it on a day that I choose not to participate on this forum. And, I'll let you know how it goes.

As far as I know, a Catholic church chose not to baptize me for reasons of their own. The only time I stepped foot in a Catholic church was when I went to a Catholic pre-school. Didn't impress me much even though I wasn't at mass.

The reality of Catholics and Mary is that we venerate her as God made her special by having her give birth to Jesus. Only God receives Catholic adoration. Back to Mary, assuming that your family was typical; do you not have strong feelings for your mother? How much stronger should our feelings be for the Mother of God?
Why in Heaven's name a Catholic clergyman would not baptise you is astonishes me. I could understand a situation where defiance of the one to be Baptised would be involved; but not otherwise; although, if a person had been previously Baptised in another faith who's Baptism was recognized by the Catholic Church; it would not need to be done a second time.

Frank
philosophicallyfrank

Return to Religious Liberty Forum