« Back to RenewAmerica

How To Tell When A Christian Is Being Phony.

Religious freedom updates and discussion

How To Tell When A Christian Is Being Phony.

Postby JoReba » February 24th, 2011, 3:09 pm

In Scripture Jesus and His Apostles, who are the foundation of The Church and its Doctrine, are never shown to misunderstand anything about which they spoke to other people. That is, they never misunderstood what other people said to them in any conversation. That is because Jesus and The Apostles were genuinely filled with the Knowledge and Power of The Holy Spirit.

Today, if you are talking to a Christian and they for any reason misunderstand what you say or express, then that Christian is phony because they are not operating in the Knowledge and Power of The Holy Spirit as Jesus and The Apostles taught and expected people to do as Believers in order to accurately speak to people.

This is a very easy and reliable test to carry out. Let me know if you have any questions.
JoReba
 
Posts: 93
Joined: February 14th, 2011, 8:59 pm

Re: How To Tell When A Christian Is Being Phony.

Postby specter » February 24th, 2011, 3:54 pm

Paul and Barnabas had to separate because they differed on issues. In the end, God will judge, but I believe they were led to serve a different purpose in preaching the Gospel. Sometimes it's difficult to see God's hand in a matter until you are able to look back.
User avatar
specter
 
Posts: 7275
Joined: November 12th, 2005, 3:46 pm
Location: A better place, a better time

Re: How To Tell When A Christian Is Being Phony.

Postby JoReba » February 26th, 2011, 4:33 pm

specter wrote:Paul and Barnabas had to separate because they differed on issues. In the end, God will judge, but I believe they were led to serve a different purpose in preaching the Gospel. Sometimes it's difficult to see God's hand in a matter until you are able to look back.


Jesus and The Apostles never explained the issue as you have done here. What makes you think your answer is relevent or Godly?

Remember, this thread is not about God judging, differences of opinions between believers, or differing ministery goals.

Will a Spirit filled Christian misunderstand what anyone says? Yes? No? Should we look to Jesus for this?

Lol.
Last edited by JoReba on February 27th, 2011, 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoReba
 
Posts: 93
Joined: February 14th, 2011, 8:59 pm

Re: How To Tell When A Christian Is Being Phony.

Postby kerwin » February 26th, 2011, 9:13 pm

JoReba,

God states I desire mercy and not sacrifice. If your actions do not testify that you understand what he means then you are not living by the Spirit.

God also instructs his people to seek understanding.

Jesus did explain the meaning of at least some of his parables to his students.

He also expounded on the meaning of scriptures.

Paul apologized for not realizing an individual was the High Priest.
Kerwin

To continue the fight to insure the blessing of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness for ourselves and our children yet unborn is the mark of a true American Patriot.
kerwin
 
Posts: 13203
Joined: January 1st, 2006, 3:01 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: How To Tell When A Christian Is Being Phony.

Postby bossfan » February 26th, 2011, 9:38 pm

JoReba wrote:In Scripture Jesus and His Apostles, who are the foundation of The Church and its Doctrine, are never shown to misunderstand anything about which they spoke to other people. That is, they never misunderstood what other people said to them in any conversation. That is because Jesus and The Apostles were genuinely filled with the Knowledge and Power of The Holy Spirit.

Today, if you are talking to a Christian and they for any reason misunderstand what you say or express, then that Christian is phony because they are not operating in the Knowledge and Power of The Holy Spirit as Jesus and The Apostles taught and expected people to do as Believers in order to accurately speak to people.

This is a very easy and reliable test to carry out. Let me know if you have any questions.


I don't understand.
"Spend time with those you love. One of these days you will say either, "I wish I had," or "I'm glad I did."
~ Zig Ziglar
bossfan
 
Posts: 2188
Joined: November 8th, 2008, 11:32 am
Location: Erie, PA. USA

Re: How To Tell When A Christian Is Being Phony.

Postby JoReba » February 27th, 2011, 1:55 pm

kerwin wrote:JoReba,

God states I desire mercy and not sacrifice. If your actions do not testify that you understand what he means then you are not living by the Spirit.

God also instructs his people to seek understanding.

Jesus did explain the meaning of at least some of his parables to his students.

He also expounded on the meaning of scriptures.

Paul apologized for not realizing an individual was the High Priest.


Have you mistakenly posted an "answer" in this thread thinking you were in another thread? Let's try it again for you: If a "Christian" misunderstands what another person says, is that "Christian" operating in God's power and wisdom?

Of course, you just might be in the habit of thinking like a woman where you compulsively "Read in between the lines!!" instead of reading the lines themselves, and where you think "Everything is related to everything!!"

"Let's Chatt! and share our ideas!!" Lol.
JoReba
 
Posts: 93
Joined: February 14th, 2011, 8:59 pm

Re: How To Tell When A Christian Is Being Phony.

Postby bossfan » February 27th, 2011, 3:08 pm

JoReba, to specter:
Jesus and The Apostles never explained the issue as you have done here. What makes you think your answer is relevent or Godly?


Gee, I wonder why Jesus never explained Paul and Barnabbas' separation?

JoReba, to kerwin:
Have you mistakenly posted an "answer" in this thread thinking you were in another thread?


Why do you even need to ask? Shouldn't you already know with certainty?

Let's try it again for you: If a "Christian" misunderstands what another person says, is that "Christian" operating in God's power and wisdom?


If seed falls by the wayside, or on stony ground, or among thorns will it grow as much as seed that falls on good ground?

Of course, you just might be in the habit of thinking like a woman where you compulsively "Read in between the lines!!" instead of reading the lines themselves, and where you think "Everything is related to everything!!"


"Just might be"? Again, your uncertainty is revealing. :wink:
"Spend time with those you love. One of these days you will say either, "I wish I had," or "I'm glad I did."
~ Zig Ziglar
bossfan
 
Posts: 2188
Joined: November 8th, 2008, 11:32 am
Location: Erie, PA. USA

Re: How To Tell When A Christian Is Being Phony.

Postby Texas Lynn » February 28th, 2011, 11:08 am

Good topic. Does everyone know evangelical Christians are especially vulnerable to the type of investment schemes as perpetrated by Bernie Madoff and the like? It's true, and no less than Christianity Today documented it a couple of years ago.

You see, it works like this: the crook joins a church, works his way into the leadership and so forth, then presents the scheme, either to individuals or to the church as an institution, or both. Now, if anyone questions this - say, someone says, "this seems mighty risky..." or something like this, then they get countered with "Hey, now you know Brother X is a good Christian, right, and The Lord made him rich so he drives that Ferrari and lives in that $16M mansion and all, so, maybe YOU are of the devil trying to cause problems for our brother and this church..." Works every time, especially in those churches which sell a "Success gospel" which suggests the rich are rich because God wants them to be and you aren't because you aren't good enuff... Lather, rinse, repeat.
You may not use me as your factory.
Priests and legislators do not hold
shares in my womb or my mind.
This is my body. If I give it to you
I want it back. My life
is a non-negotiable demand.

Marge Piercy
Texas Lynn
 
Posts: 990
Joined: February 9th, 2011, 1:26 pm
Location: Brooklyn NY

Re: How To Tell When A Christian Is Being Phony.

Postby JoReba » February 28th, 2011, 12:58 pm

Texas Lynn wrote:Good topic. Does everyone know evangelical Christians are especially vulnerable to the type of investment schemes as perpetrated by Bernie Madoff and the like? It's true, and no less than Christianity Today documented it a couple of years ago.

You see, it works like this: the crook joins a church, works his way into the leadership and so forth, then presents the scheme, either to individuals or to the church as an institution, or both. Now, if anyone questions this - say, someone says, "this seems mighty risky..." or something like this, then they get countered with "Hey, now you know Brother X is a good Christian, right, and The Lord made him rich so he drives that Ferrari and lives in that $16M mansion and all, so, maybe YOU are of the devil trying to cause problems for our brother and this church..." Works every time, especially in those churches which sell a "Success gospel" which suggests the rich are rich because God wants them to be and you aren't because you aren't good enuff... Lather, rinse, repeat.

Indeed.

Christians are very vulnerable for the following reasons:

1.) They like to think it it their spiritual responsibility to always "seem nice," and not question other people who "seem nice."

2.) They are usually gutless enough to be unable to ask the hard questions.

3.) They think their churches are a repository for Godliness.

Lol.
JoReba
 
Posts: 93
Joined: February 14th, 2011, 8:59 pm

Re: How To Tell When A Christian Is Being Phony.

Postby bossfan » February 28th, 2011, 1:00 pm

Texas Lynn:
especially in those churches which sell a "Success gospel" which suggests the rich are rich because God wants them to be and you aren't because you aren't good enuff...


Can you give me some examples of these "success gospel" churches in which you mention?

With the Bible being so full of promises from God for prosperity and good success, what other gospel can there possibly be other than a "success gospel"?

Are you sure that you are interpreting their message correctly?

And is there a more appropriate gospel, such as a "failure gospel" or a "defeat gospel"?

I agree with the opinion that there are a lot of phony Christians out there that are pretending to be Christian for the purpose of taking advantage of others.

But I'm curious about your term "success gospel" and who you consider to fall into that category.
"Spend time with those you love. One of these days you will say either, "I wish I had," or "I'm glad I did."
~ Zig Ziglar
bossfan
 
Posts: 2188
Joined: November 8th, 2008, 11:32 am
Location: Erie, PA. USA

Re: How To Tell When A Christian Is Being Phony.

Postby Texas Lynn » February 28th, 2011, 1:34 pm

bossfan wrote:Texas Lynn:
especially in those churches which sell a "Success gospel" which suggests the rich are rich because God wants them to be and you aren't because you aren't good enuff...


Can you give me some examples of these "success gospel" churches in which you mention?

With the Bible being so full of promises from God for prosperity and good success, what other gospel can there possibly be other than a "success gospel"?

Are you sure that you are interpreting their message correctly?

And is there a more appropriate gospel, such as a "failure gospel" or a "defeat gospel"?

I agree with the opinion that there are a lot of phony Christians out there that are pretending to be Christian for the purpose of taking advantage of others.

But I'm curious about your term "success gospel" and who you consider to fall into that category.


It's not my term; it's been used frequently to describe megachurch entraprenneurs like Creflo Dollar, Joel Osteen, Paul and Jan Crouch, Rod Parsley, etc.

The idea one person becomes rich and another fails to do so because the former has the favor of God and the latter does not is puredee heiferdust and nothing but a recipe to fool the public to obtain power and control over others. Yes, the Bible contains many shibboleths about obtaining prosperity. These are to be taken with a grain of salt by rational beings.

Considering how in the U.S. the right-wing religious right faction is tightly allied with the forces of plutocracy one could reasonably say all or most right-wing political preachers fall into that category by default.

Yes, the more appropriate Gospel is the one of Jesus Christ which upholds the poor, not the rich.
You may not use me as your factory.
Priests and legislators do not hold
shares in my womb or my mind.
This is my body. If I give it to you
I want it back. My life
is a non-negotiable demand.

Marge Piercy
Texas Lynn
 
Posts: 990
Joined: February 9th, 2011, 1:26 pm
Location: Brooklyn NY

Re: How To Tell When A Christian Is Being Phony.

Postby JoReba » February 28th, 2011, 1:56 pm

Texas Lynn wrote:
bossfan wrote:Texas Lynn:
especially in those churches which sell a "Success gospel" which suggests the rich are rich because God wants them to be and you aren't because you aren't good enuff...


Can you give me some examples of these "success gospel" churches in which you mention?

With the Bible being so full of promises from God for prosperity and good success, what other gospel can there possibly be other than a "success gospel"?

Are you sure that you are interpreting their message correctly?

And is there a more appropriate gospel, such as a "failure gospel" or a "defeat gospel"?

I agree with the opinion that there are a lot of phony Christians out there that are pretending to be Christian for the purpose of taking advantage of others.

But I'm curious about your term "success gospel" and who you consider to fall into that category.


It's not my term; it's been used frequently to describe megachurch entraprenneurs like Creflo Dollar, Joel Osteen, Paul and Jan Crouch, Rod Parsley, etc.

The idea one person becomes rich and another fails to do so because the former has the favor of God and the latter does not is puredee heiferdust and nothing but a recipe to fool the public to obtain power and control over others. Yes, the Bible contains many shibboleths about obtaining prosperity. These are to be taken with a grain of salt by rational beings.

Considering how in the U.S. the right-wing religious right faction is tightly allied with the forces of plutocracy one could reasonably say all or most right-wing political preachers fall into that category by default.

Yes, the more appropriate Gospel is the one of Jesus Christ which upholds the poor, not the rich.


Let's try to focus on facts of Scripture rather than on your frustrated ideas about wealth inequities.

Jesus said in His Sermon on the Mount, "Blessed are the poor in spirit." He did not say, "Blessed are the poverty ridden, incapacitated, lazy, and foolish people who expect a free ride from others."

Notice the specification of "spirit" in His blessing. There is nowhere in Scripture that Jesus either directly or remotely indicates His followers are to be resource poor and in physical need. If you disagree then cite the Scripture which states that. Please do not make continual reference to you own ideas.

Lol.
JoReba
 
Posts: 93
Joined: February 14th, 2011, 8:59 pm

Re: How To Tell When A Christian Is Being Phony.

Postby Texas Lynn » February 28th, 2011, 3:17 pm

JoReba wrote:Let's try to focus on facts of Scripture rather than on your frustrated ideas about wealth inequities.

Jesus said in His Sermon on the Mount, "Blessed are the poor in spirit." He did not say, "Blessed are the poverty ridden, incapacitated, lazy, and foolish people who expect a free ride from others."

Notice the specification of "spirit" in His blessing. There is nowhere in Scripture that Jesus either directly or remotely indicates His followers are to be resource poor and in physical need. If you disagree then cite the Scripture which states that. Please do not make continual reference to you own ideas.

Lol.


I did not cite the particular scripture you cited. It appears it is you who is the "frustrated" one. I am quite cognizant of the difference between "poor" and "poor in spirit". As I did not make any assertion otherwise, it appears you are attempting to distort my words. If so, you should be sorely ashamed.

I did not, as you also falsely claim by implication, that Jesus "either directly or remotely indicates His followers are to be resource poor and in physical need"

As I am not a fundamentalist I am under no obligation to follow your commands. You possess no authoriteh over me whatsoever and your seeming assertion that you do is most inappropriate.

As to your cruel reference to "the poverty ridden, incapacitated, lazy, and foolish people who expect a free ride from others." You should be sorely ashamed for using such hateful terms. If you want to identify "those who expect a free ride from others" you cannot claim such a designation does not include the wastrel rich, like the last President the U.S. had before Obama.
You may not use me as your factory.
Priests and legislators do not hold
shares in my womb or my mind.
This is my body. If I give it to you
I want it back. My life
is a non-negotiable demand.

Marge Piercy
Texas Lynn
 
Posts: 990
Joined: February 9th, 2011, 1:26 pm
Location: Brooklyn NY

Re: How To Tell When A Christian Is Being Phony.

Postby bossfan » February 28th, 2011, 5:38 pm

JoReba:
Indeed.

Christians are very vulnerable for the following reasons:

1.) They like to think it it their spiritual responsibility to always "seem nice," and not question other people who "seem nice."

2.) They are usually gutless enough to be unable to ask the hard questions.

3.) They think their churches are a repository for Godliness.

Lol.


And then there are those who pose as Christians who:

1.) are always critical, with never anything positive, complimentary or good to say of others

2.) claim to be Christian but spend very little time ever proclaiming Christ and His finished work, giving no glory to Him

3.) spend more time telling others about what they must do rather than what Christ has done.

I find it sad.
"Spend time with those you love. One of these days you will say either, "I wish I had," or "I'm glad I did."
~ Zig Ziglar
bossfan
 
Posts: 2188
Joined: November 8th, 2008, 11:32 am
Location: Erie, PA. USA

Re: How To Tell When A Christian Is Being Phony.

Postby kerwin » February 28th, 2011, 7:38 pm

JoReba wrote:
kerwin wrote:JoReba,

God states I desire mercy and not sacrifice. If your actions do not testify that you understand what he means then you are not living by the Spirit.

God also instructs his people to seek understanding.

Jesus did explain the meaning of at least some of his parables to his students.

He also expounded on the meaning of scriptures.

Paul apologized for not realizing an individual was the High Priest.


Have you mistakenly posted an "answer" in this thread thinking you were in another thread? Let's try it again for you: If a "Christian" misunderstands what another person says, is that "Christian" operating in God's power and wisdom?

Of course, you just might be in the habit of thinking like a woman where you compulsively "Read in between the lines!!" instead of reading the lines themselves, and where you think "Everything is related to everything!!"

"Let's Chatt! and share our ideas!!" Lol.


No! According to you if you were a Christian you would understand what I posted and why. :)

I do strive to read the Spirit and not the words. Jesus taught in mystic saying so his students could solve the puzzle he presented by being guided by God. "I seem to do the same at times without intention. The Spirit teaches you to love as God loves but does not remove all limits of a human being. Seek that and God's Kingdom. :pray:
Kerwin

To continue the fight to insure the blessing of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness for ourselves and our children yet unborn is the mark of a true American Patriot.
kerwin
 
Posts: 13203
Joined: January 1st, 2006, 3:01 pm
Location: Illinois

Next

Return to Religious Liberty Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest