Dennis M. Howard
Crusading Kansas pro-life prosecutor says abortion "will destroy the rule of law"
FacebookTwitterGoogle+
By Dennis M. Howard
June 19, 2014

Morristown, NJ – Phillip D. Kline, the crusading prosecutor who took on Planned Parenthood, abortionist George Tiller, and former Kansas Governor Kathleen Sibelius, warned here that "if America continues embracing abortion, it will destroy the rule of law."

In a speech to the Legal Center for Defense of Life here, Kline summed up his anti-abortion legal battles in Kansas, saying, "The law flies out the window when abortion comes in the door. Without truth, there is no law, and that truth must resonate in the hearts of the people."

He added: "A nation cannot claim a promise and live a lie."

Kline cited polls showing that "90% of people in America's cities subscribe to the view that truth is relative. That drops to 80% in the suburbs, 60% in rural areas, and 50% among students in Christian schools. But without truth, there is no law. And that truth must resonate in the hearts of the people."

He added, "Without truth the law is merely words on paper and paper never stopped a bullet. The power of the law is present only when the truths reflected in the law resonate in the heart of a people."

Evidence Kline obtained while he served as Attorney General of Kansas revealed 166 examples of child abortion and abuse at Planned Parenthood and at Tiller's criminal late-term abortuary.

Four Kansas district court judges found merit to Kline's evidence but Kline's criminal charges never reached court because of the destruction of documents by the Sebelius administration and interference by five Kansas Supreme Court justices appointed by Sebelius. Yet Sebelius is good friends with Cecile Richards, head of Planned Parenthood, and also supports abortion on demand. If convicted on Kline's charges, Planned Parenthood stood to lose all of its federal funding, now amounting to over $500 million annually.

Kline said that America is clearly divided over abortion. He cited new data showing that half the states account for just 10% of all abortions, while the other 25 states account for 90%, and 54% occur in just six states – California, New York, Texas, Florida, Illinois and New Jersey.

Kline added that pro-lifers "must expect to suffer for their beliefs. If you put your convictions on the line in America, you can expect to be persecuted. The word 'suffering' in the ancient Hebrew means to lift up to a higher purpose. If you reflect on life and on history – you will see that all that has eternal value has required suffering. We must rely on the promises of God. We often can't see how God is using us in our pro-life ministry. Yet we have faith in the author of truth."

Kline has been sued numerous times by Planned Parenthood and its allies, suffered death threats and harassment and been subjected to a multi-million dollar smear campaign, yet he persists.

Kline is now assistant professor of law at Liberty University and director of Amistad Journey, a project of the Life Issues Institute in Cincinnati, Ohio. In that job, he continue to pursue pro-life justice.

On the plus side, Kline said, "The pro-life movement is the best example of ecumenism we have around today. I see great zeal and energy among pro-life Protestants and great strength and consistency of principle on the Catholic side. The main division I see is people differing over tactics instead of recognizing the power in unity and cooperation among all of us to achieve that goal."

© Dennis M. Howard

 

The views expressed by RenewAmerica columnists are their own and do not necessarily reflect the position of RenewAmerica or its affiliates.
(See RenewAmerica's publishing standards.)

Click to enlarge

Dennis M. Howard

Dennis M. Howard is founder and president of The Movement for a Better America, a non-profit, pro-life educational organization. Before starting MBA in 1995, he had a long and successful career in journalism and creative marketing. He has been writing since 1950, when he helped launch The Sun Herald of Kansas City, America's last attempt at publishing a Catholic daily... (more)

Subscribe

Receive future articles by Dennis M. Howard: Click here

More by this author