« Back to RenewAmerica

Ukrainian Orthodox Cult

Religious freedom updates and discussion

Ukrainian Orthodox Cult

Postby Deplorable MEh » July 2nd, 2019, 9:38 pm

They have many images in their church. They use incense. They share a spoon and kiss an old book. None of this seems normal to me.
I'm the controller of my destiny. I'm the master of my fate. I will fight with words all tyranny. I will guard against the state.
Deplorable MEh

Re: Ukrainian Orthodox Cult

Postby philosophicallyfrank » July 5th, 2019, 12:00 pm

I'm not sure of who you are commenting on? Is it the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, itself or some other group?
philosophicallyfrank

Postby Deplorable MEh » July 5th, 2019, 7:02 pm

Last edited by Deplorable MEh on September 18th, 2019, 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm the controller of my destiny. I'm the master of my fate. I will fight with words all tyranny. I will guard against the state.
Deplorable MEh

Postby Deplorable MEh » July 5th, 2019, 9:34 pm

Since I was never in a catholic church for service I can't compare the two, pfrank. But, I've seen Catholic masses on TV and I am afraid to say that they are eerily similar. Worshipping icons is idoltry. There is no need for images in church. A cross is good enough.
Last edited by Deplorable MEh on September 18th, 2019, 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deplorable MEh

Postby philosophicallyfrank » July 6th, 2019, 11:22 am

Catholics do not "worship" anyone or anything other then God. We do in various ways "honor" various other people who are of worthy note. Do you have pictures of your parents, spouse, children, family members, friends, etc.; does having those "images" show that you "worship" them? I think not; nor does having images of those other then God show that Catholics "worship" them. These images serve to remind us of them and their holy way of life and use them as "role models" for our lives.
There are a lot of mis-conceptions about Catholics and what and why they do what they do, or at least the ones who try to live their lives as good Catholics. Most do not do a good job of living as a good Catholic and I, myself, need to make many improvements in my own life. It is a good thing that you do in questioning what you have been led to believe about Catholics. The late Bishop Fulton J. Sheen use to say: That there are not 100 people who dislike Catholicism; but, there are millions who dislike what they think is Catholicism". I have that in quotes; but, I am paraphrasing as I don't remember the exact words.
If you are willing to post your "impressions"; I will "try" to give you the reality.
philosophicallyfrank

Postby Deplorable MEh » July 6th, 2019, 11:00 pm

No one knows what Jesus looked like so why "honor" statues and images that might not even resemble Him?
Deplorable MEh

Postby Deplorable MEh » July 7th, 2019, 1:53 am

You worship in a church. When you surround yourself with images and statues in church that aren't honoring God you are committing idoltry. I don't have a shrine at home with pictures of my family members. I don't pray to Mary mother of God because she was a sinner who was human. You think Saint Anthony is going to help you find something if you pray to him? Give me a break! Making up excuses doesn't change anything.
Deplorable MEh

Postby philosophicallyfrank » July 7th, 2019, 7:46 pm

Gospel of John Chapter 2 verses 1 thru 10:
[1] And the third day, there was a marriage in Cana of Galilee: and the mother of Jesus was there. [2] And Jesus also was invited, and his disciples, to the marriage. [3] And the wine failing, the mother of Jesus saith to him: They have no wine. [4] And Jesus saith to her: Woman, what is that to me and to thee? my hour is not yet come. [5] His mother saith to the waiters: Whatsoever he shall say to you, do ye.
[4] "What is that to me": These words of our Saviour, spoken to his mother, have been understood by some commentators as harsh, they not considering the next following verse: Whatsoever he shall say to you, do ye, which plainly shews that his mother knew of the miracle that he was to perform, and that it was at her request he wrought it; besides the manner of speaking the words as to the tone, and the countenance shewn at the same time, which could only be known to those who were present, or from what had followed: for words indicating anger in one tone of voice, would be understood quite the reverse in another.
[6] Now there were set there six waterpots of stone, according to the manner of the purifying of the Jews, containing two or three measures apiece. [7] Jesus saith to them: Fill the waterpots with water. And they filled them up to the brim. [8] And Jesus saith to them: Draw out now, and carry to the chief steward of the feast. And they carried it. [9] And when the chief steward had tasted the water made wine, and knew not whence it was, but the waiters knew who had drawn the water; the chief steward calleth the bridegroom, [10] And saith to him: Every man at first setteth forth good wine, and when men have well drunk, then that which is worse. But thou hast kept the good wine until now.

Jesus while not prepared to perform a miracle; did so when His mother, Mary, asked Him to do so. So, if the Son of God felt compelled to do as Mary asked Him; then she obviously deserves to be not worshiped; but venerated which is less then worshipped.

What makes you an expert on Catholicism???? Protestants go to church on Sundays to hear a "fire & brimstone" sermon and sing hymns. Catholics go to Church on Sundays "to spend an hour with Jesus" as He asked of His disciples.
philosophicallyfrank

Postby Deplorable MEh » July 7th, 2019, 8:29 pm

The same thing that makes you an expert on Protestantism. I confess my sins to God not a father.
Deplorable MEh

Postby Deplorable MEh » July 7th, 2019, 8:49 pm

ven·er·ate
/ˈvenəˌrāt/
Learn to pronounce
verb
past tense: venerated; past participle: venerated
regard with great respect; revere.
"Mother Teresa is venerated as a saint"
synonyms: revere, reverence, respect, , adulate, hallow, deify, , hold sacred, exalt, honor, esteem, look up to, think highly of, pay homage to, pay tribute to; More
Deplorable MEh

Postby Deplorable MEh » July 7th, 2019, 11:14 pm

Deplorable MEh

Postby philosophicallyfrank » July 8th, 2019, 5:08 pm

Are you a so-called "Sola Scriptura" believer?
philosophicallyfrank

Postby Deplorable MEh » July 11th, 2019, 8:24 pm

I would rather take the Bible home with me than a priest, if that answers your question.
Deplorable MEh

Postby philosophicallyfrank » July 11th, 2019, 8:54 pm

No, I asked about a specific and in many Protestant faiths, a basic, belief for them, "Sola Scriptura". Forgive me if I am wrong; but, some of your recent answers/responses have "seemed" to be a bit "smart allecly". I assumed that you were interested in an intelligent discussion; perhaps, I was wrong?
philosophicallyfrank

Postby Deplorable MEh » July 12th, 2019, 12:20 am

Deplorable MEh

Next

Return to Religious Liberty Forum