Note: Republished from August 15, 2018
"To strip our past of glory is no great loss, but to deny it honor is devastating." – Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"Education is a weapon whose effects depend on who holds it and at whom it is aimed." – Josef Stalin
TOO MUCH OF HIGHER EDUCATION IS AIMED AT THE MALE OF THE SPECIES:
"The snowman is, of course, white and invariably male . . . His ritual location in the semi-public space of garden or yard imaginatively reinforces a spatial social system, marking women's 'proper' sphere as the domestic-private and men's as the commercial-public . . " – University of Birmingham (UK) professor of art history
Even life-long Democrats are getting sick to the stomach, sick of the political correctness promoted by Big Box Education. According to our Best and Brightest, there are now 31 flavors of genders and at least 12 appropriate pronouns for them. The Queen's English is dying a slow death of semantic over-kill.
SERIOUSLY, as Will Rogers said, "There is nothing so ignorant as the educated man if you get him off the thing he was educated in."
America has been the most creative nation on the planet for over 200 years. We not only invented baseball, football, and basketball, but the bulk of the world's technology. A lot of credit for that goes to the engineering majors from our universities, but sadly, many of them don't notice that their old alma mater has become increasingly anti-business, and anti-Christian. Now they are even becoming anti- Semitic and pro-Islamic. I'm going to post this column every August for as many Augusts as America survives:
- "No man who worships education has got the best out of education . . . Without a gentle contempt for education no man's education is complete." – G.K. Chesterton
- "I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cab driver. Then they would really be educated." – Al McGuire (coach, Marquette WARRIORS)*
- "It is a thousand times better to have common sense without education than to have education without common sense." – Robert Green Ingersoll
- "An educated person is one who has learned that information almost always turns out to be at best incomplete and very often false, misleading, fictitious, mendacious – just dead wrong." – Russell Baker
- "It's not that our liberal friends are ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so." – Ronald Reagan
- "For us in Russia communism is a dead dog. For many people in the West, it is still a log lion . . Blow the dust off the clock. Your watches are behind the times. Throw open the heavy curtains which are so dear to you – you do not even suspect that the day has already dawned." – Alexander Solzhenitsyn
- "An era can be said to end when its basic illusions are exhausted." – Arthur Miller
- "Learning, n. The kind of ignorance distinguishing the studious . . . That which discloses the wise and disguises from the foolish their lack of understanding."– Ambrose Bierce
- "An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you know and what you don't." – Anatole France
- "Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance." – Will Durant
- "Education is learning what you didn't even know you didn't know." – Daniel Boorstin
- "Much education today is monumentally ineffective. All too often we are giving young people cut flowers when we should be teaching them to grow their own plants. – John W. Gardner
- "The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." – Robt. Hutchins
- "Education is simply the soul of a society as it passes from one generation to another." – G.K. Chesterton
Lady Margaret Thatcher said, "A powerful, radical left-wing clerisy is bent on destroying what every past generation would have understood to be the central purpose of education – that is, allowing (in the words of Edmund Burke) individuals to 'avail themselves of the general bank and capital of nations, and of ages.'"
Most educrats these days have no intention of passing on our society's soul to the next generation! They would rather introduce 'Generation Snowflake' to perpetual change, new political paradigms, evolving standards of decency, and "NEW" morality.
Alexis de Tocqueville warned us: "Because Roman civilization perished through barbarian invasions, we are perhaps too much inclined to think that that is the only way a civilization can die."
Tony Blair said, "We will not win this battle against this global extremism unless we win it on the level of values as well as force."
At about the same time, British academe launched a new program called (euphemistically) "Secure Values" which eliminated any teaching of right and wrong – "to relieve schools of the need to teach British Heritage." [Quoted by Rush Limbaugh, August 1, 2006] How's that working out for them, and for us?
CONCLUSION: "Alas, the academy today is obsessed with the trivial and the trashy, relentlessly focused on sexual politics, and gripped by a deep antagonism to tradition that has degenerated into a new absolutism." – Jim Nelson Black ("Freefall of the American University")
P.S. "A child educated only at school is an UNEDUCATED CHILD." – George Santayana
"A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy, or perhaps both." – James Madison
PPS: President Monroe said that everything would be safe as long as the people are virtuous and not ignorant or corrupt. For us Traditionalists, that's a word of warning. For the one-world progressives, that gives them a bright IDEA, a good excuse for dumbing down the next generation, Generation Z.© Curtis Dahlgren
The views expressed by RenewAmerica columnists are their own and do not necessarily reflect the position of RenewAmerica or its affiliates.