While the President and Washington Senators and Congressional Representatives are concerned about the Russian border invasion in Ukraine, they should ALSO be concerned about our own border facing Mexico. Our country’s border security has become a great concern to millions of us.
Many thousands of illegal immigrants are illegally passing through our southern borders ever few months. The government has confirmed that to this day over 12 million illegal residents now live in our country. No wonder that our cities all over the country have been affected by an increased homeless population in their cities.
Sometime ago, I visited an old downtown section of the city of Los Angeles. I passed the roadway towards the downtown section of L.A. where I used to have meetings at my old employers (Crocker National Bank) multi-story headquarters in that city.
I was appalled by how many homeless people were now in the downtown section of Los Angeles. I also noticed a large number of dilapidated RVs and automobiles on the roadway around town where homeless people were living on the streets.
When will our Congressional members realize that a growing number of this homeless population is now made up of illegal immigrants? With this additional concern, Congress should go out of its way to address our country’s border security. Yet thanks to the Democrat party and their leadership, they have not in the last 2+ years!
This concern does not even include the noticeable increase in illegal drugs coming into our country as well. Drug related deaths should speak to the hearts of many of us. As for myself I know of at least 4 former students (when I was going to high school and college) who have died from drugs. Yet illegal drugs are now continuing to flood into America.
Besides the need to now continue to "build the border wall," Congress should also do the following:
- Noticeably increase the federal Border Security budget
- Negotiate with leaders of the country of Mexico. Encourage them to develop a plan where will also defend their borders too … so that illegal immigrants from other countries will not enter their country (so as to travel to the U.S. also). Do this even if we (the federal government) have to contribute to their cause.
- If immigrants are applying legally to come to the U.S., have them stay in Mexico until their request for entry is granted. This avoids the current U.S. policy where we automatically release them (into the U.S.) prior to a court appointed appearance which many have shown they will not attend and thereby disappear into our cities and country undetected.
- Hire more Border Patrol agents. Increase their numbers by at least 50%.This will help battle Illegal border entry which has increased significantly over the last 2+ years.
- Increasing the defense of our border will ultimately have a positive effect on our lowering crime levels, decreasing drug related deaths and significantly decreasing organized crime’s negative influence in our society.
To help America accomplish these above mentioned goals, I simply ask you to do the following.
Please call your Congressional member or U.S. Senator. You can do this by dialing toll free: 877-762-8762. In most cases when you call mention your state or district and the operator will provide you with a connection where you can provide them with a message (about your concern) or speak to an office representative. Thanks for doing so!© James Lambert
The views expressed by RenewAmerica columnists are their own and do not necessarily reflect the position of RenewAmerica or its affiliates.